Monday, October 20, 2008

an addict's mirage

I had seen it on television and in movies,
In novels, tales and legends, have I heard,
What it felt like – the ups and the downs,
The ecstasies, the sensations and deflations.

Like the aroma of freshly baked bread,
The scent floated and wafted towards me,
The picturesque presentation of the act,
Invoked in me, an enigmatic craving.

In pursuit of adventure, my ego ballooned;
Like a fresh fragranced flower in the morn,
Like the tantalising tingling taste of a fruit,
My senses seduced, my mind made up.

The first time, my world was mesmerised,
Enchanted in luxury, sparkling with liveliness,
I tasted ecstasy’s rapture on a blissful plain,
And experienced light’s illuminating flare.

It was the ultimate vacation terminus;
Where neither time, nor space had sovereignty,
A little paradise where worries waned,
And dreams dwelt deep in dignity.

I was the creator, the king and the subject,
And I could slip in and out of it anytime,
It was my world and I reigned with pleasure,
It was fun, until it took control of me.

A revolutionary republic turned rebellious,
A prince turned prisoner, I lost myself,
A dictator turned devotee, I’m called names,
A creator, addicted to the decrees of his creature.

Farcical, but my escapades got me captivated,
All I wanted was to ride an enthralling ecstasy,
A lift, and a laugh later, I became a loser,
An addict’s mirage, drenched in a spit of saliva.

No comments: